Sunday 12 December 2010

Christmas Countdown: Fragrance Balls

Here's something I've tried for the first time this year. Nothing makes me feel more like Christmas is around the corner than a house that smells of cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. Hopefully these fragrance balls will make that happen even when I've not been busy in the kitchen. It's a very simple idea.

All you need to do, it heat 2/3 cup water in a pan with a stick of cinnamon, a little grated or ground nutmeg and a few cloves. Alternatively, for a stronger smell, use a teaspoon of essential oil in a scent of your choice. Heat the water until it boils then take off the heat.
.
Put a cup of flour, 1/4 tsp cornflour and 1/4 cup salt in a mixing bowl and add the scented water. I left the bits in the water, but you could strain them out if you'd rather. Stir together until a dough is formed.
.

Form the dough into balls and leave in a warm place to dry overnight.



I have to remind myself not to eat these, as they look and smell delicious. Next year I might try adding some glitter or making different shapes for a bit of a change. I've put mine in a glass jar with a few of my dried oranges with a bow around the top to make it look prettier.

2 comments:

  1. This is a lovely idea, I've covered mine in green and red glitter and put them around the house in jars. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to see how the glitter works. I found myself having a lseepless night last night thinking about whether adding food colouring might look pretty too. I can see another batch coming on...

    ReplyDelete