Thursday 2 December 2010

Christmas Countdown: Cranberry Chutney


Part of my plan for Christmas this year was to make most of my presents. One of my ideas was to make a chutney, and I came across a very festive recipe for a cranberry chutney that I'm sure would go very well with turkey sandwiches!

I've never made so much chutney in one go before and found myself wishing that Father Christmas brings me a large preserving pan this year.


To make 6lbs of chutney, I heated 2oz butter, 22oz onions, 2lbs apples and 3tsps spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and allspice were what I went for) in a pan until the onions were soft and translucent.

Then added 1lb 8oz fresh cranberries and 2lbs light brown sugar to the pan and stirred for a few minutes before pouring in 30 fl oz white vinegar. After bringing it to the boil, it was then left to simmer for about an hour and a half.

I finally potted the gloopy mixture into sterilised jars.


I'm a bit nervous about the final result, as chutney needs to mature for 4-6 weeks to develop its flavour and texture, so I'm hoping it tastes as good as it looks. I managed to make 10 jars of the stuff, so it had better be tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment