Saturday 11 December 2010

Christmas Countdown: Plum and Mulled Wine Jam

There can be very few more Christmassy sounding preserves than plum and mulled wine jam. I thought it would make a nice little present for friends as well as filling my store cupboard. Unfortunately, I didn't learn from my last preserve making experience and realised too late that I was making more jam than would fit in the pan. After faffing about with ladles and trying to mix the sugar evenly through both pans, I had rather a messy kitchen. Exactly like last time, the jam in the smaller pan scorched and the other batch wouldn't set even after 40 minutes of trying.

You win some, you lose some.

Anyway, in case you'd like to try your luck, here's the recipe taken from Jams, Pickles and Chutneys: Best Kept Secrets of the Women's Institute by Midge Thomas.

4 lb red plums, stoned and halved (I added an apple to make up the weight)
1/2 bottle red wine
Mulled wine spices tied in muslin
Piece of orange zest (without pith)
4 lb sugar
  • Put the plums and wine in a preserving pan (a BIG one!)
  • Add the spices and zest to the pan and cook gently for 15-20 minutes to soften the skins.
  • Take out the spices and zest add the sugar, stirring constantly until dissolved. Bring to the boil and boil rapidly until setting point is reached (the book says 10 minutes. HA! I say...)
  • Remove scum and pot into sterilised jars.
No pictures today I'm afraid as we're spending the weekend with my parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment