Thursday 16 December 2010

Christmas Countdown: Cosy reads

One of the things I'm really enjoying about having a toddler is that I get to read my favourite stories with her. A friend recently bought Alice a lovely copy of The Snowman by Raymond Briggs. She sits and points at all the pictures and usually wants to go back to the beginning after we finish.

These short days are giving us lots of opportunities to snuggle up and read festive stories together. Even better if we read them in a den!

We've decided that we'll tell Alice the story of Saint Nicholas rather than the modern Santa or Father Christmas. I've not got a book about him, but I've been having a go at telling it in my own words. The oral tradition of telling stories is as old as the human race, and seems particularly appropriate at Christmas. and I'm using the opportunities I get to develop my skills at it now when
she doesn't mind too much when I get it wrong or muddle my words!

No comments:

Post a Comment