Monday 16 August 2010

Potty Training

I wasn't sure what to call this post as I don't think potty training is the right way to describe what Alice has been doing lately, but I can't think of another way to put it. About 2 weeks ago, she was having nappy off time, and she did a wee on the floor. She liked to look at it and enjoyed watching me wipe it up. She then went to another part of the room and tried very hard to do another one. I was amazed. I thought it would be an involuntary action, but she was very much in control.

Some time ago I read up on elimination communication. Alice was about 4 months old at the time, and I decided it wasn't for us. I read that after 6 months the window of opportunity closes as babies lose the tells that show when they need to go. Despite that, I thought I'd let Alice try the potty, and I couldn't believe it when she used it the first time she sat on it. Since then I have put her on it at every nappy change and more often than not she uses it. Her nappies are seeming dryer when I take them off too. I'm not expecting her to be out of nappies any time soon, but it's an exciting step. I don't know what I'm doing, but she's enjoying it, and I'm happy to follow her lead.

No comments:

Post a Comment