Thursday 12 August 2010

Fun with Marrows



I accidentally left a courgette growing for too long recently as my two little plants are churning them out at an incredible rate. As a result, I found myself with a reasonably large marrow on my hands. I have never bought or cooked with one before, so I had a look around for recipes. The first one was stuffed marrow. I cut it into rings and scooped out the seeds, then filled it with a mince and spinach mixture and topped with slices of cheese before baking f
or half an hour. I was a little dubious, but it was delicious! Even better was the fact that I was eating it while looking out the window at the plant it grew on.

I still had over half of the marrow left, so I made an apricot and marrow chutney. It's ages since I made chutney, and I had forgotten how muc
h I enjoy preserving things. As I stirred the glistening mixture, I realised how happy it makes me to cook things, especially when I know they will be enjoyed in weeks to come. With the house full of the sharp smell of vinegar and spices, I couldn't have felt any happier. I feel so fortunate to be able to live the life I have always dreamed of.

Amazing what one marrow can do.



No comments:

Post a Comment