Tuesday 10 August 2010

Blackberry picking




My lovely husband went off food shopping the other day and I asked him to try to get local apples rather than some that have flown half way round the world. He proudly returned with some Bramleys, and although I like tart fruit, I didn't fancy biting into one of those. I decided to make the most of the blackberries that have just started to appear around us and bake a blackberry and apple pie. It's the first time I've gone blackberrying with a baby tied to my front (I'm still struggling with the backcarry) but we managed it, despite eating more than we collected. I noticed some sloes appearing on the trees too, and must remember to go back in a month or so to get some to make sloe gin.

As the blackberries are so sweet, I found that I didn't need to add sugar to my pie filling. I am continuing to find that my taste buds seem to be rapidly adjusting to my new low sugar diet, and sweet foraged treats certainly help with my remaining cravings!

No comments:

Post a Comment