Monday 16 August 2010

Early Quince Jelly

Outside my parents in law's front door is a small japonica which is surprisingly fruitful. Last winter I asked if they would be used and was given permission to take them to make quince jelly. The few pots I made didn't last long! Unfortunately, they have moved out of their house this week, and I was left with a quandary. Should I pick the fruit early and have a go at preserving it or should I leave it for the next inhabitants? I decided on a compromise. I picked the largest and most yellow of the fruit and left about half on the bush.



Despite my reservations about harvesting so early, the jelly has turned out very well, even better than last year I think. I've only made a small quantity, but I'm hoping to find a source of more quinces in time for late Autumn.

No comments:

Post a Comment