Tuesday 6 April 2010

The Mother Magazine

I returned from a lovely stay in Gloucestershire yesterday to find my first magazine from The Mother had arrived. I first came across it after reading a recommendation on somebody's blog (can't remember who I'm afraid). I had been hoping to subscribe to a magazine for a while. I enjoy lots of the conventional magazines you find on the shelves, but generally find myself disagreeing with some of their suggestions. I don't like the idea of having a 'must buy' product or learning 5 top tips for getting your child to sleep through the night. When I read the ethos of The Mother however, many things seemed to ring true with me.

I have now read the whole magazine and have thoroughly enjoyed it. It is far more thought provoking than many articles I have read on child rearing. I certainly don't match up with some of their ideals. I am a meat eater, I plan to fully vaccinate my baby, I'm a Christian and I'm sceptical of homeopathy, but even if I don't follow some of the finer details, they make me examine my lifestyle. I certainly have more in common with that than with those who encourage me to leave my baby to cry it out, to wean at 4 months with purées or to stop breastfeeding at 6 months.

I'd thoroughly recommend the magazine. I only wish it came every month!

No comments:

Post a Comment