Tuesday 23 March 2010

Chemical Clear-out Part 2

I've trawled through the mountainous pile of cosmetics I had stashed away around the bedroom and bathroom and this is the result:




I have really mixed feelings about this.

Firstly, there's the thrifty part of me that hates to waste anything. That's probably what resulted in me keeping bottles with hardly anything left in them in the first place.

Secondly, I feel awful about this all ending up in landfill. My council don't recycle any plastics other than bottles, and even if they did I'd have to wash the contents of these things down the drain releasing the chemicals into the water system.

Thirdly, I'm embarrassed to have spent so much money on cosmetics. I've never really thought of myself as being taken in by advertising, but why else would I have six types of moisturiser? Despite what I thought, I have fallen for the empty promises of clear skin and shiny hair.

Fourthly, and most importantly, I am relieved. I have always felt a bit overwhelmed when thinking about sorting through the mountainous pile of unguents and creams. I'm a hoarder by nature, so the pile kept growing. I'm so glad to have finally shifted the lot and to reassess what I actually need. Fewer nasty chemicals in my cupboard is going to mean a healthier life for our whole family. I only wish I'd done it sooner!

2 comments:

  1. Have you already disposed of this? If not, anything unopened the charity shops will take and other things - if you get in touch with your local council, they may be able to pass it on to refuges (homelessness, domestic abuse, etc) - they will often take donations of these things. hth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, everything was already open but I did let my friends and family have a root through for anything they wanted. Thank you for the advice though! If anyone gives me that sort of thing as presents, I think that's what I'll do with it.

    ReplyDelete