Sunday 14 November 2010

Preparations


I've decided to start Christmas preparations in good time this year. Usually I leave it until the last minute, but with a toddler in the house, it's not so easy to manage!

Yesterday I made my first lot of mincemeat. I've never made it before and was pleasantly surprised at how simple it was. I won't be going back to the jarred stuff in a hurry!

I used a modified version of a recipe in Best Kept Secrets of the Women's Institute: Jams, Pickles and Chutneys by Midge Thomas

6oz sultanas
4oz raisins
4oz currants
2oz chopped almonds
2oz mixed peel
grated zest of a lemon and an orange
juice of lemon and orange
2 chopped apples
3fl oz brandy
1tsp cinnamon
1tsp allspice
4oz shredded suet (I used veggie)
1tsp nutmeg
8oz dark muscovado sugar

Then I mixed them all up in the bowl, covered in clingfilm and will leave it for a week, stirring daily. Then I'll pot it up into sterilised jars and leave for a couple of weeks before using.

It already smells amazing, and I can't wait to taste it. The brandy and spices made me feel like it's Christmas already. My next project is the Christmas cake. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment