Saturday 15 May 2010

One thing after another

No common coughs and colds for my baby. Oh no. After her bout of German measles, which I have since found out has become quite rare since the vaccination programme started, she's now developed an abscess.

I thought it was just a swollen gland behind her ear, and even the doctor assured me it would go away, but two days later it's the size of a large marble and is pushing against her earlobe. It is very painful for her even if she brushes against it. Another trip to the doctor followed (so much for trying to live without medical intervention) and he said as she's so little, it will have to burst on its own. If it's still there by Monday, she'll need a general anaesthetic to have it drained. I guess we just have to wait and see now.

She's on antibiotics, although getting them into her is hard. She screams blue murder, and blows bubbles as we syringe it in. More ends up on me than her. I hate the idea of using medicine with her, and I'm praying that we avoid thrush. As ever, all we can do is wait and see.

2 comments:

  1. Poor baby and poor you. It must be heartbreaking for you to see her like that. Hoping things turn out ok.

    Avril

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. It's been a bit trying, but thankfully the abscess burst on Saturday (lovely...) so no trip to the hospital. I've also decided not to use the antibiotics as they were making her sick. Hopefully we'll be back to normal soon!

    ReplyDelete